This one is good for everything from pickles to corned beef! You can add in as many of the spices as you want, depending on your tastes. For my blend, I used everything.
This recipe is from Amazing Ribs
DIY Pickling Spice
Serves: 3/4 cup
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks, total length
- 2 tablespoon dill seeds
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds, any color
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon mace
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom seeds (or 1 tablespoon pods)
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 2 star anise pods
- Mix all the ingredients together and store in a tight jar. Try to break up the cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and star anise pods if using. You can also place the larger ingredients in a ziptop bag and smash with a meat pounder to break them up.
- This will last, stored in a cool, dark cupboard, for several months.